My Disney+ Guilty Pleasure

In November of 2019, the world of streaming was changed when Disney launched Disney+. Within 24 hours of launch, Disney said they had obtained over 10 million subscribers. I will admit, I was one of them. I would be lying if I didn't say this was something I had looked forward to since it was announced, and not just for its catalog of Star Wars and Marvel content.


For me the vast appeal of Disney+ was in its catalog of classic Disney movies and shows that I grew up watching. The first movie I watched on Disney+ was actually not a Star Wars movie at all, but the 1960 movie Swiss Family Robinson, followed by 1950's Treasure Island. I loved those movies growing up and enjoyed them just as much as the first time I saw them.


Then I had the opportunity to introduce my girls to The Adventures of the Gummi Bears. I loved that show as a kid. The different color bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere. Then introducing them to the Disney Afternoon shows I watched as well: Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, TaleSpin, and Darkwing Duck! So many great memories brought back of my childhood and many more made with my girls.

Yet, besides all the nostalgia, Disney+ has a whole catalog of original shows. The largest and most successful being The Mandalorian. The first ever live action Star Wars show was a quick hit and made a huge splash in pop culture by introducing the Child, more commonly referred to as Baby Yoda. The Mandalorian has set the bar for Disney+'s original programming. Shows like High School Musical: The Musical The Series, Pick of the Litter, Encore, and so many more have huge shoes to fill when compared to the success of The Mandalorian but there is one show that I can't stop watching. This show I look forward to each week and its one when it was first announced and I saw the preview, left me intrigued. Then after seeing the first episode, I was hooked. It became my guilty pleasure each Friday (the day new episodes are released). Its my guilty pleasure because I look forward to it so much, its entertaining and educational.

That show is The World According To Jeff Goldblum.


I have always liked Jeff Goldblum and enjoyed the movies of his that I have seen. This show amazes me though. In each of the episodes, Jeff explores everyday items and activities like sneakers, gaming, and denim. He explores the roots of the item or activity, what made said item/activity popular, and by the end of the episode you see something you see everyday in a new light. The learning is is made fun by the quirkiness of Jeff's almost childlike curiosity.


This is a show that just by the sound of the hosts voice, you can't help but crack a smile. Then to see Jeff Goldblum interacting with the items he is studying is priceless. Watching him riding a BMX bike, exploring the RV museum, or simply eating ice cream, he pulls you into his world and you don't want to leave it. Jeff makes you feel his excitement for the topic of research each episode and the level of curiosity is contagious. At the time I'm writing this, the next episode due out is about make-up. I could careless about make-up but I'm intrigued to see what Jeff brings to the table. 

This docuseries, as it is called, is slated for 12 episodes. at the time of this blog, we are 9 episodes in and I'm hoping it gets brought back for a second season. I need Jeff Goldbum to explore more everyday items, like sunglasses, or travel mugs, or ties. I would love to see an episode on ties. 

If you have Disney+ and you haven't done so, check out The World According To Jeff Goldblum. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do. 

That's it for now.

Live long and prosper,

May the Force be with you,

and more importantly, may God bless you richly in 2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2019 New Year's Resolutions

Daddy/Daughter Date Night