My Top 5 John Williams Musical Compositions

Yesterday was the 87th birthday of one of the greatest composers of the modern era, the great maestro John Williams. To celebrate the man who wrote the music that defined my youth, I thought I would share my favorite Williams compositions with you to enjoy. And yes, I honestly mean his music defined my youth. The soundtracks composed by John Williams have been my go to music for all occasions for at least the last 2 decades.

Maestro John Williams
 I am far from a musical scholar so I won't try to bore you with details of the artistry that Williams infused in each piece of music. If you are looking for that, may I recommend a podcast called The Soundtrack Show hosted by David Collins. He takes an in-depth look at the composers and music from movies soundtracks. I highly recommend it.

Now lets check out my top 5.

First up is a piece called "Cadillac of the Skies". It is from the 1987 movie Empire of the Sun. This is a movie set in World War 2 about a young boy separated from his family and being held in a prison camp in Japan.




Second we have "Journey to the Island" from the 1993 hit Jurassic Park. This piece is from the scene when the stars are on a helicopter flying to park for the first time.




Third on my list is "Across the Stars" from 2002's Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. I love the use of violins in this piece. I think it captured the perfect mix of conflict in Anakin's and Padme's forbidden love.




Fourth is the theme from 1993's Schindler's List. There aren't enough words in the English language to describe the emotions being poured out in this music. It's simply moving.




Last but not least, from 1999's Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, "Duel Of The Fates. This is just an incredible piece of music. Love the use of the choir. It added so much more depth and excitement to the battle between Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Darth Maul.




Those are just 5 of the many incredible pieces John Williams has composed in his lifetime. I could have added so much more but I don't want to over do it. However here are some honorable mentions: the theme to Home Alone, "Hedwig's Theme" from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, "Binary Sunset" from Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope, and "The Raider's March" from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

If you get a chance, check out these and other masterpieces by John Williams and let me know your favorites.

Until next time....

Live long and prosper,
May the Force be with you,
and most importantly, may God richly bless you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2019 New Year's Resolutions

My Disney+ Guilty Pleasure

Daddy/Daughter Date Night